Friday, December 19, 2014

Moving Through Time

It's 5:50 a.m. and I am awake, drinking coffee in my kitchen.  The ice is so loud this morning that I can hear it inside.  It's -14C.  The ice becomes louder as the temperature drops. 

The Christmas tree glows behind me and the coffee maker continues on it's annoying tick, tick, tiiiick that I only seem to hear when no one else is up.  Time is ticking, too.  It's now 5:53 and I wait.  This morning I am waiting for the phone to ring - hoping that I will be called to teach.  Supply teacher worries.

I haven't written in six months.  It's not because I haven't had anything to say, and it's not because I have been too busy.  I don't know.  My attention is divided, I suppose.  Time slips away and while I am constantly filled with words, I often struggle to let them out. 

This morning I was moved to pick up a pencil and put it to paper, which is the way I used to start all of my writing.  A simple pencil and paper.  And with that, Clare is stirring and my time here is done.  5:57 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. I have missed Maple Lake. Glad you are back, if even just for a fleeting moment. When you have babies and toddlers time becomes a precious commodity. I know that very well. I don't know about everyone that has had kids but for me I find that since you guys grew up and went on your way that time never came fully back to me. The spaces gained were quickly filled up with other things to occupy my mind. Now that I no longer work at a regular job I have so many things going on I wonder how I ever had time to do a daily job.

    ReplyDelete